Tuesday 10 February 2009

Dubai Day 4 - Desert Safari

I spent the morning relaxing at the flat. Used the sauna and steam room in the building to sooth my aching legs after all the walking yesterday, and went to catch a little bit of sun at the rooftop pool area, with a dip in the cool swimming pool.

I then took a taxi to Jumeriah Beach road, where Carine works. We got some McDonalds, and had lunch on the beach.

At 15h15 I was picked up at the flat for my Desert Safari. Apparently one of the "must-do's" whilst in Dubai. We drove 60km South East of Dubai on the Hatta road the the "Deflation point". Here they deflate the tyres of the 4x4's from 50bar to 12 bar to ensure grip on the sand for Dune Bashing.

It's a 20 minute stop, before entering the desert. I went to buy a little bottle of water(500ml), for which they charged me 20 Dhs. (About £5 or R40). I paid it hesitantly - but OUCH!!! I told my driver/guide - Whaheed. He got very angry, went to the shop and started fighting with them in Arabic (he is Pakistani). He got me 15 Dhs back. Shows you how they rip the tourists off........

Anyway, from here we entered the desert, which is right next to the main dual carriageway. You literally just drive off into the sand. 40 Minutes of Dune bashing in the 4x4. It was one of the most adventurous things I have ever done. Real scary at times, as you slide sideways down dunes that are approx. 5 storeys high. The drivers are VERY experieced, and you can't believe what these guys do with a 4x4. They explained that they have to make instantaneous decisions. The have to read the dune, as each ones faces in a different direction, and the desert changes completely over night. The dune has a climb (the soft incline where the wind blew it from) and the drop (the back of the dune). They have to go up on the climb, and down on the drop. Once at the top, they have seconds to decide which way to go, at what speed and what gear. At times we went really fast to get up the dune, to face a great drop on the other side. It was just awesome!!! We stopped for a photo opportunity on one of the high dunes, and also at a camel farm.



Then off to the desert camp. It's like KwaMaritane's bushbraai - only in the desert, and a little more different. Upon arrival we were offered Arabian coffe (I respectfully declined) and some fresh dates - the national food. The for some local shopping, smoking of the sheesha pipe (hubbly bubbly), henna tattoo painting and camel rides - all included in the package (which by the way was only £33). You could have a falafel whilst waiting for dinner, which was served at 19h00, with unlimited soft drinks, water, tea or coffee. There was Arabic bread, houmous, green salad, pasta salad, beans, chicken curry, chicken tikka, rice, lamb shish-kebabs, chicken sosaties, beef sosaties, and Indian spiced chicken drumsticks. Mmmmmm - Delicious!!

At 20h00 the belly dancer came out to entertain us with some traditional dancing to local music, with some crowd involvement.

We left the camp at 20h30, and I was dropped back at Carine's flat at 21h15.

It was the most amazing experience, and all I can say is:
You haven't lived until you've done 4x4 Dune Bashing in the Arabian Desert.


Click here for today's photos.
(I took a short video of the dune bashing and the belly dancing, but I'll have to wait for Dad to help me load it on the blog, so keep an eye out for it.)

1 comment:

BILL and RIA said...

Meis, dis bloody amazing!