Monday 9 February 2009

Dubai Day 3 - Dubai Creek Day


Today I took the open bus to the Gold Souk, where I bought some earings. All gold jewellery is sold per fine ounce, at the day's gold price, and the minimum is 18 ct.

After this I walked (a very long way) and took an Abra over the Dubai Creek to the Dubai Old Souk. Here they trade anything from knock-off branded items to fine silk and cashmere. I got some small gifts for the ladies back home (there's not really anything for the guys, unless you would like a big gold or copper elephant or camel).

From here I took the another Abra (it only costs 1 Dhs to cross, which is 20p) to go on a Dhow River Cruise. This is my favourite part (crossing with the Abra). The Creek is really busy with Water Buses, big Dhows heading out to trade in the Middle East and Africa and lots of little Abras. The Abras weave in and out, and on a few occasions I thought we were going to crash with other traffic. You share the Abra with 19 other people (they take 20 max). It's a great experience!

Our Dhow cruise took us down the Creek explaining some of the landmark buildings along the way, as well as the trade history and behaviour. Caught some sun on the boat, so hopefully I'll return to the UK with a little bit of colour!

After this I took another Abra back to the Old Souk, and a taxi back to the flat.

I am cooking dinner tonight. I've been to the local supermarket, which is run by a South African. It was nice to see things like Ouma Buttermilk Rusks, Charka Braai Briquettes, Ina Paarman spices and Budoir buscuits in the shop!

I'm excited about tomorrow - but you'll have to wait.......

Click here to view todays photos

1 comment:

BILL and RIA said...

Wat 'n wonderlike nuwe wereld Meis, klink alles so interressant! Meis